Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Why farmers have dirty houses

It has been another busy week at the farm. I have discovered the reason why farmers have dirty houses (this is solely my observation from the several farmhouses I have visited in my life). There is simply not enough time for the inside chores. I suppose it would be different if I were not working, but I doubt it. There are animals to be tended, grass to be mowed, gardens to clean up, fruit to pick and can, etc. I have found a new appreciation for my bed. I gratefully collapse into it each night and fall fast asleep.

The highlights of this week included our first equine vet visit and some behavior problems. The vet came out on Wednesday to look at the gray mare. She was still suffering from shipping fever and we knew that antibiotics were needed. In addition to the antibiotics, she also prescribed albuterol and some OTC cough medicine. We have to grind the antibiotics up into a powder and make a paste with water and molasses. We have a giant plastic syringe to inject this concoction into the horses mouth. Let me just say that taking the temperature was easier. She is feeling much better now. The runny nose has stopped and the cough is clearing up.

The horse on the mend was the good news of the week. By Friday, we noticed that our Sorrel mare, Star, was acting a bit bossy towards us. Nipping, pushing, stomping at the gate/fences. I called the man who sold us the horses and asked him what we could be doing wrong (the list might be long, lol). I mentioned that whenever we take the gray mare into the barn to give her medicine the Sorrel goes insane. She paws at the fence and whinnies and kicks the gate. When I would go into the pasture, she would show some really bad manners. He suggested that she has attached herself to the gray mare, kind of a mother figure for her. He said that we need to separate the two horses and "break" the Sorrel of her attachment. We immediately moved her to our second pasture, which is on the other side of the property and almost impossible for them to see one another. He told me that she would pace and whinny and that I should just let her do it and then I should "longe" (pronounced "lunge") her in the morning until she was exhausted. He said I needed to show her who was boss.

He was right on the first account. She paced and whinnied all night long. In fact, she wore the grass out along the pasture fence. I am sure the neighbors were appreciating the noise all night. I laid in bed expecting the sound of a shotgun being readied and fired. On Saturday morning, Melanie and I went to my new favorite place to spend my hard earned cash, the Tractor Supply Company. We bought a longe line and a whip. Stories Guide to Training Horses mentions that only a professional should attempt longing a horse. Well, seeing as there is an absence of professionals on my farm, I thought I would give it a try. My futile attempt lasted about 2 minutes. Mainly because the horse was not interested in moving away from me (a longe line is about 16 feet long and the horse should be at the other end of it while you chase it in a circle). She crowded me, whinnied, pushed me...and finally got her legs all tangled up in the line. I tried poking her with the butt of the whip a couple of times, but she was so agitated, there was no hope. I got out of the pasture and decided to wait to get a professional in the form of Melanie's friend from CATRA who has broken a few horses in her day.

Aside from the noise all day, we were able to get Shadow bathed. Washing a horse is kind of like washing your car with the exception of having to move out of the way every now and then to avoid being trampled or kicked. Once we finished with her, we attempted to bring Star to the pump house to bathe her as well. This little episode ended up with the horse back in the pasture charging at the fence. She had become a danger to herself. I decided that tough love was no longer an option, I moved her back to the other pasture and she has been as gentle as can be with me since then.

Mel's friend came over on Sunday afternoon for our first longing. It was not a disaster, but also not the greatest success either. It was clear to me that I was in over my head in this department. I couldn't believe how rough you have to be with these animals. I will need to get over my fear of being trampled before attempting this activity in the future.

Outside of training our crazy horse, we have mostly been working on the cherry tree and canning. Our Mennonite neighbors came to visit on Saturday and brought 2 quarts of black raspberries, from which I seeded and made some jam. It is possibly more delicious than the cherry jam. We reciprocated by picking another large bowl of cherries and sending them over to them. I saved some to make some cherry cobbler....now if only I could find the time.

Monday night I was able to teach mom how to use the lawn tractor. She was a little leary at first, but quickly picked it up and soon was mowing like a pro. We are trying to get the place ready for our big 4th of July bash tomorrow. I hope the rain holds off long enough to enjoy being outside, since that is where we concentrated our efforts! LOL

In chicken news, they are getting so big I can't believe they were just little peeps a month ago. It turns out we have 4 roosters as I heard one of my "hens" crowing the other day. Our straight run cuckoo marans are half hens and half roosters. I have noticed some fighting going on, so we may have to cull them. It is sad because I just love them all so much. I can't imagine having to get rid of any of them. There are some parts of farm life that are easier than others. I will be sure not to order roosters in the future. The chicks love being outside. They are quite adventurous now, oftentimes wandering through the gate to the other side of the barnyard. They stick close and the barnyard is sheltered by a large tree and the barn. It makes me feel somewhat safer from hawks during the day.

My final thought is from a news article I came across this morning. 5 mennonites died in a manure pit on their farm. It is tragic, but there was the one little part of me who thought, jeez, I never thought I would have to worry about meeting my maker in that manner! We do not have a large dairy farm with a manure pit and to ensure we never need one, my local friends are welcome to come help themselves to some free fertilizer! On that note, I will close my missive for this week. Look out for some new photos coming soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too have a new appreciation for hard work. You would think you would lose a lot of weight for all the manual work of weeding overgrown gardens,planting new flowers and running after both wild and domesticated animals all day but it just makes you eat more. As you guessed the weight does not drop off although I haven't gained any either. Oh yes, the dirty house thing, who has time to care when a cool shower and comfy bed is waiting for you at the end of the day. We will worry about clean when Christmas comes. Life on the farm is good.
Mom