Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cage-Free vs. Factory Farming

Today, Oprah did a show on a proposition in California that would alter the living conditions for chickens, veal, and pigs that are being factory raised.

I watched the show with an open mind, and while I can see both sides of view, it is hard not to be biased because I have free range chickens. I nearly broke down watching the clip of a egg factory. The chickens are packed 6 to a crate, with about 80,000 per chicken house. They live there inside these houses for their entire lives, never seeing the sunshine or eating fresh grass and bugs.

I love my chickens. They have personalities and, as someone on Oprah said, "they have the spark of life in them just as human's do, and they deserve better treatment considering their lives are given for us."

I think it all comes down to economics. Most of the factories already in production would go under if they were required to completely overhaul their cage systems. However, if more farmers would free range, the cost of these types of eggs would go down as supply increased.

I am still soliciting thoughts on whether or not people would consume less or consider what they consume more if they had an active role in or a better understanding of where their food came from.

Thoughts?

No comments: