Monday, May 21, 2007

The Loudest Mail I Ever Received


The chicks arrived today. I went up to the Post Office as soon as they opened to see if they were there. The hatchery says they deliver the chicks between Sunday and Tuesday and they hold them at the Post Office. Our town is very small and anyone who lives within 1 mile of the Post Office has to pick up their mail. It is nice because everyone in the PO knows you by name (or in my case Box Number, since Mastracola is a little too exotic for a town in the sticks.) So when I came in today and said, "I have some chicks." Scott said, "Yes, yes you do." I could hear them chirping happily away in the back room. It seems the chicks arrived last night and the employees were probably happy to see them go.

The box was so much smaller than I expected. I think a bucket of KFC is larger than what they shipped my 26 chicks in. My feeder and waterers arrived the same time, so I needed to get everything set up for them when I got home. The book says you need to dip each chicks in the water so they know where to go for it. Well, after the first 3 chicks it was a free-for-all! The chicks were running through it and jumping on one another. It was pure chaos. I got all 26 transferred in and my hope is that they are smart enough to follow the ones who do know where the water is located and that not too many decide to bathe in the water. Wet, cold chicks are not happy.

I have learned that (just like human babies) chicks let you know how they are feeling by how loudly they are chirping. When I got the box at the PO they were squawking like crazy. Once I set them down in my warm car, they went almost silent. I haven't really gotten back to that almost silent zone yet, but I guess like my human babies, I could always load the brooder in the car and drive around the block a couple of times.

I have the feeder loaded up now and I am surprised at their instincts at one day old. They are pecking away and drinking their water. I can see that I am going to have to make a trip to Costco for a case or two of paper towels! I read that you shouldn't put the babies on newspaper because it is too slippery and can make their feet get splayed. Bounty seems to give them enough traction...but they are poop factories and will need to have it changed pretty often.

As I write this, they seem to be quieting down. Enzo has quieted down too. My Maltese thinks he is part herder (you should see him herd our Yorkie to go outside) and he is quite interested in the chicks and has tried to work his way up to the table where the brooder is located. It will be fun to see him around the barnyard!

More fun to come later.




No comments: