Friday, May 18, 2007

You have to start somewhere

Well, Nick finally talked me into it. I have a blog. I thought that our experiences on the farm would be a great topic to blog about. We make settlement on the place in just under two weeks, but there is so much we are already working on to prepare for our new lifestyle. I ordered 25 chickens, (well, actually 26 because they are sending me a free exotic chicken). I really only wanted 5 hens and maybe a rooster, but the mail order company has a minimum of 25. So I selected 4 each of about 6 different breeds to start and 1 rooster to complement my brood. I probably will end up with at least 3 roosters because one of my breeds is a straight-run (which in chicken terms means about a 50/50 mix of sexes). I ordered sex-link hens for all the others. I have been studying all things chicken for about 4 months now in preparation. We really wanted some good brown egg layers and chickens with a good temperment. The really fun part will be waiting to see what the chickens grow into, especially our oddball exotic bird....I guess the one who cackles in a foreign accent around the barnyard will give it away. Just kidding!

Our one-day old chicks arrive sometime between Sunday and Tuesday (May 20-22). From what I can gather, the chicks arrive at the post office and you get a call to come get them. It almost seems like adopting a baby, sitting around waiting for the call. We built our chicken brooder this week out of a large under-the-bed storage container that we cut parts of the lid out and bolted in some screening. I ordered the chick feeder and waterers the other night and I hope they arrive before the chickens! The chicks are hatched and sent....so they will be very thirsty when they get here. They are coming from Iowa.

I told Bob that if 26 chickens is too much we will just have to cull the flock and have some nice chicken dinners. He freaked out when I suggested it. He said that he never signed on to eat our barnyard friends. Someone else told me that if we are planning on eating them not to give them any names....but that advice came too late. I already had names selected before I purchased the hens. I thought it would be a fun idea (when I was only buying 4-5 chickens) to name them after my maternal aunts. Addie, Rosie, Patty, and Dianne. The 5th chicken was going to be named Bea or Gladys or Gertrude....cause they just sound like chicken names. The rooster is going to be named Sonny, after Aunt Rose's husband. Now that we are going to have 26, we will have to work on some additional names. Feel free to submit some ideas!

Can't wait to post some photos of our new babies.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, its me. congradulations on the farm. it sounds heavenly. i am being ambishes to. i 'll let you know that later. on the names i always liked henry,or tony myself.

Rocky Mountain to Florida Beaches said...

It will be different to have a farmer in the family. At least I will get to see the baby chicks before I leave I wish you all the best of luck getting the farm up and running I will have to check the updates since I will be so far away to see the progress.

Gina

Anonymous said...

You had better save some eggs for me. But I am with Bob on not eating the barnyard friends. So when you invite us over for dinner I will be asking if we are having chicken and if you are then I think we will be busey that night!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

i was lol when i read your mail... i think you really have to share your experience cuz it sounds way more interesting than every tv program or book... i would like to say hi to all of you and i hope sometime i can come to say hi properly and see your farm! ciao bella . Fabri

JustReggie said...

well since I am part of this adventure I can't to be woken up to the rooster crowing. I am actually more excited to have some space to have a garden but more important peace and quiet, well that is until that rooster starts crowing then we may just have to make dinner out of him.

Anonymous said...

hi michelle I just went on your blog.It's pretty cool,this way I could hear about the mastracola's adventures all the way to france.I think of you a lot and I hope you will name one of your chicken "frenchy" or "eiffel",something like that!!!
love elodie