Thursday, May 24, 2007

Smarter than your average chicks

Day 4 with the chicks. They are growing so fast, I can't believe it. They can reach their heads over the side of the brooder (when the lid is off) and some can even jump onto the side. Thank goodness it has rounded edges....they usually fall back into the box.

The chicks are smart. They try to find the highest ground to either look out or try to escape. My guess is the escape route....because, let's be honest who wants to live in a little box with that many competitors. Chicks are busybodies and they are very inconsiderate of one another. When one goes to do something, the rest follow. So there is a frenzy when I refill the water feeder or the food. They make such a mess with the waterer that I resorted to filling the basin part with marbles to try and keep the pine chips and poop out. I also inverted my second waterer basin and propped the filled on on top. The chicks can still get to the water, but it appears to be working to keep the water clean.


I have gotten into the groove of taking care of them. I have been sleeping more easily now that I know that the babies are fine through the night. I think we are going to outgrow the brooder faster than I originally thought. I hope to get it to work until the move. Then, we can set something larger up in the chicken coop at the farm.

I can't believe we will be in there in less than a week. Time has flown by pretty quickly.

I am off to make some pizza for the missionaries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The chicks are so CUTE! Now my kids want some. I said were will we keep them? They said you wouldn't mind if we kept them with yours!! HAHAHAHA