Monday, May 28, 2007

Chicks in Crisis

We had our first crisis with the chicks. I had a 5 pound bag of feed that I purchased from the hatchery that was soon to run out. I tried the feed mill on Saturday afternoon and missed them by 20 minutes. I thought I could make the feed stretch until Tuesday, but with the miracle grow chickens, it didn't last much until Monday morning. They were getting desperate. I found a box of Kashi 7 grain cereal that had some of the good grains that chicks need. So I put some through the food processor and added some grit and the babies seemed to like it.
So off to Tractor Supply Company to look at equipment. While we were there we discovered they sell chick feed, but ALAS they were out of the starter feed. We ended up driving into Harrisburg and getting a bag at the new TSC....just in the nick of time, they were getting ready to close. The babies are fed and happily sleeping in the brooder. They just keep growing and growing....much faster than I anticipated.
Settlement is tomorrow and we are off to clean up the new place and get ready to move our stuff in on Wednesday. The coop is really dirty right now and we will need to get that place scrubbed down good to make sure the babies don't get any bad diseases. More to come....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle and Family,
Love hearing from you and Congrats on the FARM! How awesome for you.

I sold my old place in Camp Hill, moved to Hershey and just purchased another older home back in Camp Hill. Will be moving there sometime in September when the renovations are completed and this place in Hershey sells. Keep me posted on your ife as farmers! The pictures of the farm are wonderful. How far are you from HBG or Hershey? Love to All,
Michelle Breneman